Tribute to the FIRST UNFORGETTABLE, ROMANTIC SUPERSTAR of Bollywood: Rajesh Khanna
Rajesh Khanna, the first romantic superstar of Bollywood is no more with us. He was multitalented: Film actor, producer and a politician. His original name was Jatin Khanna and he was born on 29th December, 1942. He was adopted by foster parents who were relatives of his biological parents. Well known as Kaka, he has done as many as 163 feature film and won three Filmfare Best actor awards. He was awarded the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005. He was referred as “First Superstar” of Hindi cinema. His debut was in 1966 with Aakhri Khat opposite Indrani Mukherjee, and was recognized for his performances from movies like Raaz, Baharon Ke Sapne, Ittefaq and Aradhana.
In the late 1960s – 70s, Khanna fell in love with the then fashion designer and actress Anju Mahendru. But their relationship did not last long. Later he married Dimple Kapadia (1973), six months before Dimple’s debut film Bobby released. He has two daughters Twinkle Khanna and Rinke Khanna. Khanna and Dimple Kapadia separated in 1984 the reason is stated as he had no time for family and also then Dimple was keen on pursuing career in acting. They lived separately but did not complete the divorce proceedings. Though they had separated mutually, in his last days his family (wife and daughter) was with him.
I still remember, recently on Colors channel, I watched Apsara Awards which Celebrated ‘100 years of Indian Cinema‘, where some of the major contributors to Indian Cinema were honoured by the guild. One among them was our Kakkaji-Rajesh. He entertained the audience with dialogue with some of his famous dialogues of the 70s and 80s hits. “Main derr se aata nahi hun lekin kya karu, der ho jaati hai. Isliye maafi ka haqdar hu, agar phir bhi kisine na maaf kiya ho toh main yahi kehna chahta hu Humko maafi dedo sahib.” This was coincidence with Hema Malini ji’s late entrance to the award function and to the dias (who was another major contributor) and the camera turned towards her.
His few famous and touching dialogues are
1. Maine Maut ko dekha to nahi par shayad woh bahut Khubsurat hogi. Kambakht jo bhi usse milta hain, Jeena chod deta hain – Anand
2. Babu mushay hum sab is rangmanch ki katputliya hain, jin sab ki dor upar wale ke haath me jaane kb kon uth jaye ye hum mese koi nhi janta hai – Anand
3. Yeh lo, phir tumhari aankho main paani! Maine tumse kitni baar kahan hai ki, Pushpa mujhse ye aansudekhe nahi jaate. I hate tears – Amar Prem
4. Main marne se pehle marna nahin chahta – Safar
5. Iss ek glaas main ek majdoor ki ek mahine ki roti hai aur parivaar ki saans. Kabhi socha hai ki iss ek glass ko pite hi hum ek parivaar ko bhooka maar dete hai – Namak Haram
Also check this for all time fav songs: https://splashbitsnr.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/all-time-favourite-rajesh-khanna-songs/